Sawtooth School for Visual Art is looking for an Executive Director. Located in the heart of downtown Winston-Salem, the City of Arts and Innovation, Sawtooth is the NC Triad’s premier community art school. For over 70 years, Sawtooth has taught a broad range of visual art disciplines to generations of adults and children of all ages and skill levels. A partner of the Arts Council of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County, Sawtooth School is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. For additional information on Sawtooth and its programs, visit www.sawtooth.org.
Sawtooth School for Visual Art
Executive Director – Position Overview
The Executive Director serves as the chief administrative officer of the Sawtooth School for Visual Art (SSVA) and reports directly to the SSVA Board of Directors. The Executive Director is responsible for leading and directing the organization, as well as overseeing day-to-day operations. Primary areas of responsibility include fundraising, personnel, fiscal management, facilities management, program development, strategic planning and public relations.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage all fundraising efforts including the annual fund, special events, capital campaigns and other appeals;
- Guide the ongoing creation and adoption of a strategic plan for SSVA, in concert with the Board of Directors;
- Routinely report progress to the Board and recommend amended plans as appropriate;
- Oversee program development that is consistent with the mission of SSVA;
- Ensure that SSVA programs are delivered in a professional and cost-effective manner;
- Serve as liaison to the board’s Development Committee to identify, research, and investigate new funding sources, as well as steward existing donors;
- Perform and coordinate stewardship and cultivation of prospects and donors;
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with all funders;
- Communicate with all groups connected to SSVA, including the media, and represent the organization in the community and at all governmental levels;
- Recruit, hire, and train staff, and create appropriate goals and evaluation metrics to measure their success;
- Oversee fiscal matters of SSVA, including budget development and reporting, analysis of financials, and appropriate accounting and auditing of financial records;
- Determine operational and facilities needs for SSVA and ensure that plans are in place to meet them;
- Oversee the rental of SSVA facilities to outside groups.
- Experience in management of a non-profit organization. Five to ten years of executive management experience preferred.
- Track record of successful fundraising for non-profits.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in leading/managing a team of employees. Successful management during a period of organizational transition preferred.
Cover letter & resume to SSVAEDsearch@gmail.com or mail to ED Search c/o 301 N. Main Street, Suite 1700, Winston-Salem NC 27101, by March 10, 2017. EOE